Saturday, June 7, 2014

No hablo Nepali

Today I got yelled at by a drunk man working on a rice plantation. The fun part? I had no idea. Benefit of not speaking Nepali right there, Ram was so sweet and said "oh this man right here doesn't want his photo taken, he is a little bit drunk." There is some beauty in not speaking the language and getting to play dumb. It is a bit awkward figuring out where to look when Ram has conversations with other people in Nepali and I know he is talking about me. Do you look at the person talking? Even though you can't understand them? Do stare at Ram waiting for the translation? Really who knows.

I was offered to sit and drink local beer with rice plantation owners today. I respectfully declined.

Cannabis grows everywhere here just out in the open. I was also offered to taste it yesterday, fresh picked. I respectfully declined.

I ate lunch in a tiki hut on stilts, coke and momos, I always respectfully accept momos.

Ram took me to another small wood carving village this afternoon. He took me in the shop of a small jewelry maker and wanted me to pick out a pair of hand crafted earrings. Everyday he compliments my earrings, today especially. I respectfully declined, he said "no, no it would be a gift." but I had money with me, I just didn't want to be a bother. The down side? I got home and looked up the conversion for how much the man was asking for them- how much you ask for beautifully hand made earrings? ... Less than 20 cents US. Oh well, lots of time left!

Ram told me that we have good chemistry today and that we would be friends. He said that if he doesn't have chemistry with someone he will not be their friend, I'm laughing by this point in the conversation. Quite frankly I laugh at almost every conversation. Nepalis remind me of the the boldness of Mexicans, and the accents and broken English are just the cherry on top. They fear nothing and say what they think, something we don't do back in the States. Later on he told me I am already like a little sister to him. He wants me to buy Nepali clothes so that I'll really fool people. He is just too much sometimes, its funny to me.

Life is pretty good. Lots of work to do though and its one of my housemates birthdays so we are all going out to dinner.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I googled Momos and dal bhat.....they both sound great to me....I was also raised on beans and rice....and dumplings.....lentils are very healthy protein....enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer and Rachel made momos the other night.....hmmmm....giant noodles with stuff inside.... they were good... not something I would want every night but good enough. I'm sure Summer can make some when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momos sound like perogies, really good. My friend Betty in the U.P. makes perogies and said the momos sound like they would taste like them. Ha, ha. FYI
    Love you
    granny

    ReplyDelete