Sunday, June 1, 2014

Muskan and Tommy

Getting situated here where everything is so different can be quite the task. Especially when your sleep schedule is so messed up.

I've moved in with my host family and my first day was pretty relaxing. I was able to sleep for a bit, journal and read all after taking a tour of this huge house. I've already fallen in love with the small white fluffy dog named Tommy, he licks everything he can touch and coats the entire house in his white fur.

Muskan, my host sister is nine-years-old and it is quite clear that she's grown up in a home open to strangers coming and going. She is extremely not shy and had no problem coming right into my room yesterday and sitting on my bed bringing Tommy along with her of course. After a touch of confusion when she asked me in her broken, heavily accented, English if I was "free" I realized she was asking if I was busy or not, not whether or not I was enslaved. Those of you who really know me probably find the hysteria in my mind instantly going toward thoughts of slavery. (I'm involved in a lot of causes working to bring awareness to and ending Modern Day Slavery and Human Trafficking.) Anywho- She wasn't sure if I had to work or anything but once I realized her question I told her just how "free" I was. This response prompted an excited invitation to do a puzzle with her, either 100 piece Dora the Explorer or 60 piece Tom and Jerry. She insisted I choose. We ended up doing the Dora puzzle together which led to quite the humorous situation of every time I found a piece she would pat my head twice and say "good job"... over... and over... and over. She's a bossy little thing, hopefully it gets her somewhere in life.

I still think it'd be easy for me to get lost in this house so many ups and downs and curves and turns. I'm really looking forward to purchasing a cell phone and figuring the transportation out.

Today is supposed to be the first day of my internship so we will see how that all plays out. I'm concerned that culturally they don't fully understand a commitment. I'm pretty determined to get what I want here. I think I'm going to start looking into personal projects I can do here on my own time-- any suggestions???

Breakfast is soon and I'm sitting in my room which overlooks the front gate watching Muskan hop on the back of her father's motorcycle in her school uniform, back pack and all, off on her way to school.

I have high hopes that things keep getting better. I've yet to get sick so that's a plus... (don't worry I just knocked on some wood.)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice happy family. I am still laughing at all your comments and enjoying every bit of reading them, you make the words come to life :)
    love you,
    granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also love reading you Bri.....it's just like (well almost) you are in the room with us....thanks again for this wonderful opportunity to see into your life/mind/heart....love, gma;))

    ReplyDelete