Monday, July 7, 2014

Success!

So today I started the day with two slices of peanut butter toast and a small cup of milk tea.

Then I went back to the Indian Embassy to drop off my passport to hopefully get my visa. Here's the story- at 10:33 am I walked in and they were on number 15, I got my number... 42. It was already past an hour since they'd opened but breakfast was late and I took a taxi there as quickly as I could. Would we get to my number in time if it closed at 12:00 pm? At 11:52 am exactly my number was finally called. I handed over my passport willingly and answered a few simple questions to prove I remembered what I'd put on my visa application I suppose.

From there I walked to Thamel. A friend had told me about a tourism place that he took to visit Chitwan. I have wandered every corner of Thamel to find it and couldn't so I just stopped in the nicest looking one I could find. They were wonderful, and charged me way more than I should probably be paying however--- it has officially been arranged that I will be visiting Chitwan the 11th-13th! I'm super excited, and just hoping it all works out. The men arranging the trip were beyond nice and even sat there and looked up my website to see my work once I told them I was a photographer.

Next I wandered and found a place to have lunch and had an amazing, practically life changing iced tea with my lunch.

From there... I took a, let's call it interesting, taxi ride to the Kathmandu Animal Treatment Centre. Once there (might I add getting there was quite the adventure, but hey I was only lost for about an hour) I spoke on the phone with the founder briefly to go over my plan and then got my first real sight of the centre. They recently moved locations so things are a bit of chaos right now but I met some truly amazing people there. I was really happy to see work actually being done there. It seems like a really interesting place to hang out and what could be more fun than taking a break from the city and taking photos of some puppies! I had a lot of fun, and saw some pretty gruesome injuries to these dogs. I met a guy who works there who was wearing a University of Michigan shirt, a month ago he was in Chicago and he has some friends that study at U of M. I was extremely happy to have a conversation with him about his shirt. I was offered a ride home in their truck as they went to pick up another dog from an area near where I live. They are so, so kind, and its the work I love to do. I love shooting for organizations that are passionate about their work and are for the good of others. It honestly felt like being back at Last Chance Corral, and if you don't already know- I love Last Chance Corral. A lot.

So anyway! From there I did a bit of shopping and met some extraordinarily nice people. And walked home to meet two new interns in the house and have dinner. We then went up to the roof for a bit and now I'm blogging then soon off to bed.

Today was super successful and I just feel really accomplished. I needed a day to just do me, even if that meant getting stuff done, I needed to do it alone and independently. I hope tomorrow is just as successful I'm ready to really do some serious work!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for Chitwan, hooray for riding on an elephant (hopefully), hooray for nice people and good iced tea, hooray for people in Nepal wearing UofM shirts, hooray for the Kathmandu Animal Treatment Centre, but mostly hooray for You :). dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me so happy :) miss you dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto all of Dad's "hoorays." Love you sweetheart, and so good to hear all of your adventures. You are impressing a whole lot of people with your pictures and words....can't wait to see/hear from you again. love, gma gries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hearing from you Bri. I agree with all of Dad's "hoorays." love, gma gries

    ReplyDelete