Friday, July 25, 2014

Initiation, Puddles, and a Countdown

Yesterday I watched a 1-year-old vomit into it's mother's cupped hand on the bus, and then she would dump it out the window, she wasn't sitting next to the window, I feel like I should mention that. Did she jump up and rush off the bus? Did she find a bag? Did she stick her kid out the window? Nope. She just kept cupping it and dumping it. Then the baby cried. Then she began to breast feed it. Having seen this, well, I feel like it was a sort of initiation into Nepali culture; no longer can anyone deny that I saw the real Nepal.

I also fell asleep on a different bus ride and successfully woke up at every stop to see if it was my stop. I got off perfectly at the right time. I also feel that it was sort of an initiation, only locals can master that skill.

My assignment was to take photos of the effects of the rain in the streets. So, pretty much, I was told to take pictures of puddles. I was determined to find the best photograph of puddles I could. And, to be honest? I think I did it. I felt like Rory Gilmore in season two when Paris assigns her a story on the re-pavement of the parking lot of Chilton, and in the end the teacher complements Rory on turning a "seemingly mundane" story into something heartfelt and touching. Turns out other people liked them too and I was published online, in The Kathmandu Post, and a short photo story in The Kantipur Daily. You want a puddle? I'll show you a puddle.

Not going to lie I'm counting down the days until I get home... hours even, 419 hours until I'm in Detroit. That being said- I am starting to feel the sadness creeping in as well. This place has become a strange little home for me, and I've found so much of myself here. But- as a Nepali man once told me "Home is home, some even say home is sweeter than the heaven above," and well I couldn't agree more. Home is home, and I'm a big believer in "home is where your mom is," and my mom is in Detroit. So I will count down these last 419 hours with a touch of sadness at the thought of leaving this new strange home, but just looking forward to hugging my mom.

9 comments:

  1. well ... the blog after that hug is the one I REALLY want to read most of all ... steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to writing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought tears to my eyes, what a heartfelt salute to your mom :)
    Being a parent on a bus with a sick child that loving mom is like the rest of 99% of mother's in the world, you will do anything to make your child comfortable even if you have to cup your hands for vomit. We all just want peace in the world, women should run the world :)
    Love, grannnny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with Grannnny...she said it perfectly. I love reading your blog..Betty (Grannnny's friend in the Upper Peninsula)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Betty, fun to hear people are reading :)

      Delete
  4. Your mom is soooo lucky to have you express yourself to her, this way.....many moms never even get to see their adult children, much less have them praise them this way. Napal has been good for you I think, and if you do come home safe and happy, it will have been one more successful stint in your "world traveler" portfolio....love you, gmagries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah see I never get to see my mom, so well, I guess a blog post will have to do haha

      Delete