Saturday, August 9, 2014

Transitions

Today I leave Nepal. And, as I did last summer I will leave a part of my heart here. I leave it with the little girls who live in Bungamati on a rice plantation. I leave it with the street dogs who have been burned by acid. I leave it with the security guard at Bhat Bhateni who smiles and nods when he sees me nearly everyday. I leave it with the bus yeller who always recognized me and made sure I got off at the right stop. I leave it with Tommy and I leave it with Ram's motorbike. I leave my heart with all of the interns still in the house and I leave it with the men that bike the neighborhood at six o'clock in the morning every morning screaming for cardboard. I leave it with all the cans of lychee juice I won't be able to drink. I leave it with the kids who live near White Gumba Monastery who swing on prayer flags everyday. I leave it with the monkeys, even the one who lunged at me and scratched me that one time. I leave a part of my heart with yak cheese momos and the men that follow you around thamel playing wooden violins and the men saying "rickshaw" time and time again. I leave my heart with the elephants that carried me and splashed water in my face. I leave my heart with all the organizations I've visited and learned from, I leave it with the orphans, and the street children I've met. I leave the largest part of my heart with Shila, my host mother and Jenica the home's "helper" more than anything else in this entire country. There isn't doubt in my mind that I will think back to them every day for a while to come and even years from now I will hope that they are doing well. 

It has hit, about 12 hours left in this incredibly complicated country. It is beautiful and it terrible, tragic and amazing; Nepal is too many things rolled into one tiny place. 

To be honest I can't believe I did it. I lived here for 10 weeks and I survived. No other place has ever taught me so much, and definitely not in such a short period of time.  

It is over and it is going to take time to readjust back to normal life at home.

I know I'll never forget this place I just hope all the little pieces to the story stay with me forever as well. My biggest fear is forgetting. 

Now- if you are feeling inspired to go on an adventure and get lost and just to experience life and the world, or- if you are looking to feel inspired in such a way, I highly suggest the film, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, which I believe truly inspired me to come on this unbelievable journey to Nepal. It's not always easy- no- it's never easy, but it is always worth it. I leave you with my current life motto:

"To see the world, things dangerous to come, to see behind walls, to draw closer, to find each other and to feel.  That is the purpose of life." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty


2 comments:

  1. All of those things are now a part of you Bri.....so you don't "leave" them so much as you "take" them with you. They are resting there in your psche, you won't be able to forget them. The more experiences like this one you have, the more your own heart will grow. You are a fabulous young woman, and I am so happy to know you as I do. I adore the way you express yourself in your writings and am so anxious to see and talk to you in real life again.....love, gmagries

    ReplyDelete