Monday, August 4, 2014

Namaste Mero Sathi

Today I was walking home and a little old lady who looked to be 112-years-old, though I'm sure she was a lot closer to 76 was just squatting in the road. Nepalis squat a lot, they have that agility in them. Anyway, she saw me looked up, and said something in Nepali then put her palms together and slightly lowered her head to say Namaste.

She- who was likely born in 1938, years before Nepal's independence, saw this white foreigner (wearing my OHIO t-shirt), and still had it in her to be so kind to me, for no reason other than recognizing I too am a human, living in this life also.

It is little happy moments, of sincere kindness I will miss from Nepal and Nepali people. I will miss the rare local giving up their seat to me on the bus because clearly I'm a foreigner and overly concerned about my back pack zippers staying shut. I'll miss the little girls in school uniforms excitedly saying hello to me. I will miss the dogs at the KAT centre, my favorites, who recognize me now, running up to me thrilled that I'm back. All those little moments, I hope I'll remember all of those, that made me feel like maybe, just maybe I could actually fit in, that I could belong.

Before I came to Nepal my roommates and I would practice Nepali phrases and write them on our room's white board. One of the first things we learned was Namaste Mero Sathi, which means Hello My Good Friend. Obviously you don't hear it much, because it is sort of an odd phrase, but it is a phrase I know. Today, that little lady for the first time in weeks reminded me of it. Little moments like that.

Namaste is also the Nepali word for goodbye, so for now, Namaste Mero Sathi.

2 comments:

  1. What is so wonderful about "Little Moments Like That," is that you are awake to them. You are paying attention. Stay that way and you immediately "fit in," Bri. I know you are on your way to many more blessings because you have chosen to open the eyes of your heart. love, gmagries

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you to get that wonderful feeling of heart warming kindness in other human beings, also the animals that you are also fond of. Of course you brought another flood of tears to my eyes as i read your blog ;) Wish i had that agility squat, ha, ha, i would not be able to get back up tho, i admire them for that. Love, grannnnny

    ReplyDelete